Learn European Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese Online.
You might worry about not being able to find the right resources for learning European Portuguese or Brazilian Portuguese online. No worries, our language experts have complied an ultimate list for you to learn Portuguese online with ease for free!
If you want to learn more about the difference between Brazilian Portuguese and European Portuguese. You could see this latest introduction.
Ok, Now we can begin.
A. Beginner Portuguese Podcasts, Videos and Other Resources (A1-A2)
As an English native speaker, (or English as a Second language), the alphabet won’t be a big problem to you. So where should you begin?
Vocabulary? Grammar? Reading ?
Actually, most people start learning their mother tongue with “listening” and “speaking”. That’s how babies learn to speak and understand this world. So we recommend you to bear this concept in mind. If you are beginners for the Portuguese language, try to keep your ears sharp and listen closely how the native speakers speak Portuguese. It will help you improve your Portuguese skill by leaps and bounds.
Podcasts, Videos and Other Resources to Learn Beginner European Portuguese
- : This is a very nice website for Portuguese beginners. They offer more than 100+ Portuguese lessons for free. Joining the lessons followed by the largest number of people is a good way to start. Usually the lessons run for 1 to 3 hours. You are guaranteed an exciting experience after finishing your first lesson.
- : Practice Portuguese contains podcast, videos and other learning resources. It is easy for you to learn European Portuguese by these unlimited learning material. They also have the so-called “shortie”. Each shortie describes the different possible situation in our lives and lasts no more than 5 minutes. It is quite suitable for beginners. This program could lessen your learning time but boost your learning efficiency in the same time.
- (for both European and Brazilian Portuguese): language.com provides both European and Brazilian Portuguese common words, pronunciation, alphabet, numbers, seasons and so on. You could learn these words one by one.
- : This website gives you some smart and nice tips to learn Portuguese. Useful phrases and words are also included. It’s not interactive, but you will have a strong mindset after reading through the suggestions they provide.
Podcasts, Videos and Other Resources to Learn Beginner Brazilian Portuguese
- : I am also a big fan of Duolingo for learning other languages! Download this free and stylish app and you can start by repeating vocabularies and creating simple sentences. It lets you immerse in learning a new language like playing a game. Unfortunately they only have the Brazilian version of Portuguese.
- : It a nice website to learn Portuguese in a very beginner level. For greetings, small talk, booking the room and so on. It’s a pity that now they don’t update this website anymore. But you could still find the TV program and transcripts on this website.
- : “Learn Portuguese Now” is a website where you could start to learn Portuguese by making simple and easy sentences. They have built 15 lessons to lead you into the Portuguese world. Additionally, if you want more Portuguese learning materials, you could also turn to the “Free Ebok” website and get one. You will find useful Portuguese phrases, common Portuguese verbs and Portuguese flashcards to help you learn the Portuguese language well!
- We will introduce more about “PortuguesePod101” later. It is one of the most famous websites for learning Portuguese. They have their own Youtube channel. You could find many short videos about the Portuguese language. For beginning learner I recommend you watch their youtube videos first to build the preliminary knowledge about the Portuguese language.
Intermediate Resources (Websites and Youtube channel) for European Portuguese
- : RTP is Portugal’s public broadcasting network. There is no English version on this website. So in the beginning, it would be a little difficult for you to get used to. But they provide a variety of videos that are less than 5 minutes. You will get a sense of achievement when you could understand what the video is talking about.
- : Like BBC news, NHK (based in Japan) also provides the news of European Portuguese version. It is quite a high-quality material for you to enhance your listening comprehension skill.
- : This podcast offers over 60 episodes of Portuguese lessons so far! They are now still updating the new document frequently. They share so many topics about traveling around the world. Each lesson introduces different city. So if you are a city goer, don’t miss this one.
- : This website created many cartoon animations for kids and their topics are mostly science-related. You will see that the main role exercises many kinds of experiment or introduces some astronomy knowledge. Unfortunately, it won’t update the new videos anymore. But there are sufficient videos for you to learn more about science in Portuguese.
- : This website is funded by the Portugal government. You could learn Portuguese through four learning categories: A Falar(speaking), A Ouvir(listening) A Ler(reading), A Brincar(playing)!
Intermediate Resources for Brazilian Portuguese
- “PortuguesePod101.com” offers over 1180 Audio and video lessons! Each lesson is paired with detailed lesson PDF notes, so it won’t be a problem if you fail to keep up with host’s talking. The most amazing thing is you could learn it from beginner level all the way to advanced level. Most of the lessons are for free. But If you want to get full access to all the lessons, you need to become a paid membership.
- . If you are into watching films, then Cinem could archive into your bucket list. They have 300 film-related audios. Most of audios are created from the Hollywood films. This website also updates on the weekly basis. Don’t miss it!
- : All the latest news or some interesting information on this website was originally designed for kids. So it will be easy for you to follow up. Their website style is high-end, you won’t get bored very soon. They also possess their own Twitter account and Facebook page so that you won’t miss the latest news!
C. Advanced Portuguese Language Lessons (C1-C2)
Now that you have strong Portuguese language knowledge, it is time to deeply comprehend their daily life. So, I recommend you could start to read some in-depth reporting. Reading daily news is a good way to absorb high-end information.
Advanced European Portuguese
- : This podcast is devoted to interesting, promising stories. They now have over 120 episodes. Each episodes will invite different speaker narrating their unique stories about daily life, career. They all talk in Portuguese very quickly, so I will say it is suitable for advanced learner.
- : iol.net is the popular news website for European Portuguese. I highly recommend. You could dig deeply resources (about sport, politic, and celebrities) on this website on your own. You will widen your horizon for sure!
Advanced Brazilian Portuguese
- Deutsch Welle? You might feel confused if you’ve heard this German broadcasting. The surprising fact is that they also provide Brazilian Portuguese and African Portuguese version! Their topic covers all-dimensional news. You could also practice your listening skill by watching their video.
- : Globo.com is the official news website for Brazil. Like BBC or CNN news, they not only have article about the latest news, but they also contains numerous videos to help you understand the Brazilian daily life.
Want 1-on-1 Portuguese tutor online?
If you are not satisfied with all these free resources above and hope to talk more, then