Why Tutor Languages Online?
When teaching any subject online, benefits are always the first thought. When tutoring subject lessons online, both yourself and the students you teach with profit from the online experience. We’ve compiled a list of advantages that you can expect from teaching online!
- Personalized Learning Experience
Having a personal environment for both you and the student lets you customize your lesson plans as well as their learning experience. It also makes it easier for you to tackle any issues that come up almost immediately. Students will be able to be more comfortable and productive when a learning-based relationship is formed. It’s become so easy to communicate directly between tutors and students, there’s even a message system that’s been developed (We’ll get into that later!) which makes learning come off more fun.
As we discussed earlier, lesson plans and tutoring sessions are scheduled around you. Most language platforms now let you insert your schedule that way students can work based on that. You’re able to set your own hours and relax when you want, tutoring online can be stress-free. Setting consistent weekly tutor appointments can assist both you and the student in controlling the learning pace.
3. Shaping the Student
You’re given the amazing opportunity of shaping how the students view not the only subject, but learning as a whole. You have the ability to support students’ growth and foster that growth. Nothing is more satisfying than watching how your students improve their understanding and knowledge of the languages. Helping the student overcome obstacles and reach their goals not only boosts their self-esteem and confidence but also yours.
Tutoring is a great way to increase your main income while also sharing your knowledge with students. For example, it might be that you’re already working as an English professor in a university and want to earn a little extra money on the side. Despite this, you may have a completely different job. For example, you may be a computer engineer who provides tutoring services for people who want to improve certain IT skills, like learning how to code a program. Tutoring is also something you could take on as a university student if you know your subject area really well.
5. Work From Home
The benefit the majority of people love the most, working from home. With working from home, you save a lot of time and energy from commuting with the bus or your car, traffic or delay issues. There’s no estimated arrival time when all you have to do is click a button. The only subject you will have to think about is the class you’re teaching, you focus on the bare minimum.
How much can you make from Tutoring Online?
The most appealing benefit when considering tutoring online is the pay. Most online tutoring platforms pay you through PayPal and the pay comes based hourly, but other platforms may compensate you based on lesson plans provided or may even let you set your own pay!
Now because of all of this variation, we’ve compiled an estimated average of all hourly rates, pays, and payment methods. Scroll down to see the potential money you could be making while tutoring on a subject you love!
10 Best Platforms Best Paying for Online Tutoring
- About: Chegg is the leading student-first interconnected learning platform, which is on-demand, adaptive, personalized, and backed up by a network of human help. It is the Smarter Way to Student and it is transforming the way millions of students learn by reconnecting the link between learning and earning through tools and services that support students throughout their educational journey. Their mission is simply to help students save time, save money, and get smarter in order to improve the overall return on educational investment.
- Tutor Experience: CheggTutors have a separate section from their main website, giving them dedication while still intertwining the tutors with their main customer/student base. The application process is relatively easy and each online tutor has the option to respond to student requests based on subjects they have expertise on, making the process seamless.
- Pay: Chegg Tutors are paid $20 per hour
- Overall Job Review: The pay Chegg offers is a lot more reasonable than most other online tutoring platforms. The flexible work schedule, the opportunity to work with pre-registered students, quick and easy payment to tutors, the function of the website sending students to you, easy application methods, and responsive support team Chegg comes out as the top competitor right now.
- About: Skooli helps students learn difficult concepts and get better grades by connecting them with professional teachers in a digital classroom. Whether you need help understanding a complex topic or want to take your knowledge to the next level, we have tutors who can help you achieve your academic goals. With over 10 years of experience hiring top teachers and creating innovative e-learning programs, Skooli is a personalized, student-focused learning platform that meets the needs of students in a digital age.
- Tutor Experience: In order to apply as a Skooli tutor, you’ll need to have your teaching certifications, proof of education, and ID ready. After this, you’ll get approved and verified. If you’re a good fit for Skooli, a Skooli member will reach out to schedule a call to discuss your qualifications, questions and next steps. It is a requirement that all Skooli tutors receive a clear national-level criminal reference check. Students can schedule sessions in advance or request instant help if you’re online.
- Pay: Skooli Tutors are paid $25 per hour
- Overall Job Review: With good pay, an interactive virtual classroom, and high standards Skooli is one of the top competitors in the Online Tutoring industry. All information gives points to this being a high quality, reputable tutoring platform, and those with the right qualifications probably shouldn’t hesitate to give it a shot.
- About: Udemy is an online learning platform aimed at professional adults and students, developed in May 2010. As of Jan 2020, the platform has more than 50 million students and 57,000 instructors teaching courses in over 65 languages. There have been over 295 million course enrollments. Students and instructors come from 190+ countries and 2/3 of students are located outside of the U.S. Udemy also has over 5,000 enterprise customers and 80% of Fortune 100 companies use Udemy for employee upskilling.
- Tutor Experience: Udemy provides a different tutoring format from normal online tutoring platforms. On Udemy, you create lessons and lectures on subjects you have expertise on and based on how those lessons perform is how you’re compensated.
- Pay: Udemy tutor pay ranges from $10 to $19 per hour
- Overall Job Review: Udemy provides an amazing platform to share knowledge as well as be compensated for the information you provide. With over 100,000 lessons and millions of course enrollments, Udemy is a resource for more than just your typical student.
- About: TutorMe is a revolutionary online education platform that provides on-demand tutoring and online courses. They believe there are more teachers in the world than are actually teaching so we want to empower more people to learn from each other. Their platform enables thousands of tutors to share their knowledge with students around the globe. Whether you need help with high school algebra or you want to learn how to program in Python, they have a perfect tutor for you.
- Tutor Experience: You start the application process by first filling out basic information. You then select subjects you’ve mastered, connect Facebook, then wait for application. Once all of this is done, you’re ready to start tutoring
- Pay: TutorMe Tutors are earning $16 per hour
- Overall Job Review: TutorMe is an amazing tutor platform with astounding tutors from renowned schools. With hundreds of courses offered, teaching in your mastered subject is made easy.
- About: One-to-one learning works. They’ve believed that from day one. But they also knew it would work better if it were accessible, affordable, and more convenient for everyone. So that’s what they’ve built—an easier way to connect people who need to know with the experts that can teach them.
- Tutor Experience: When interested at tutoring at Wyzant, you first select the subjects you want to teach. You then write a free response on information about yourself, personalize your profile, accept their terms and agreements, verify your email, and wait to be approved. Once this is all finished, you can now set your own pay and start tutoring.
- Pay: Wyzant tutors set their own pay
- Overall Job Review: With not only the opportunity of setting your own pay but also working with a tutoring platform that’s been established for 10 years, Wyzant should be one of your top picks when considering tutoring online.
- About: Preply was first launched in 2012 in Brighton, Massachusetts and is currently one of the largest online tutoring websites globally. It has approximately 47,000 registered tutors, offering help in as many as 27 different languages. While Preply primarily has a focus on language learning, it also offers courses and tutoring in subjects such as coding, accounting, and design. It contains a similar approach to other language platforms with the offering of trial lessons as well as the pay per lesson feature.
- Tutor Experience: In order to start working with Preply, you’ll need a filled profile which includes your photo, course days, information about the places of teaching and your individual methodology. Then you must upload your educational documents and identity card to gain access to the database of students. Finally, you choose students from the database and offer them your services.
- Pay: Preply tutors are earning $550 per week
- Overall Job Review: Preply shines with its large amount of information. This site can be effective in assisting students who have the goal in mind of bettering any subject they’re interested in.
- About: Only founded in 2016 in Taiwan, AmazingTalker is relatively new to the competitive language learning market. However, it has had rapid growth for the previous few years thanks to its website containing high-quality teachers, a rigorous review system and an AI recommendation function that accommodates the user. It currently boasts over 1,000 tutors and has helped teach more than 80,000 students.
- Tutor Experience: AmazingTalker reviews every teacher application themselves to guarantee the quality of tutors and they ensure only a small percentage pass the screening. The end result of this process is a teaching community that upholds high standards and impressive learning results. You set up your profile first, undergo an interview with one of their various top-performing tutors, then make your profile public to students.
- Pay: AmazingTalker tutors are earning $25+ per hour
- Overall Job Review: AmazingTalker has thoroughly analyzed how they could become the most successful online tutoring platform while simultaneously providing a fantastic user experience and an effective learning environment. The opportunity provided to network with a top-performing tutor, easy pairing process for students, and competitive pay AmazingTalker is storming the online tutoring platform competition with ease.
- About: Cambly was founded in 2012 and provides on-demand access to tutors via video chat. Cambly tutors are all native English speakers from the United States, Canada, UK, and Australia, etc. The platform allows users to connect with a suitable tutor in under 5 seconds. Users can then practice English conversation, take an English course, or prepare for the IELTS, SAT, or TOEFL exams.
- Tutor Experience: Cambly provides an appealing mobile app that allows tutors to teach languages from the comfort of their smartphone. The most interesting feature is the “call” function, which allows the student to contact you and have a conversation with them. Even though Cambly appears to be mobile-based, they also have a website with the same functions.
- Pay: Cambly tutors earn $10.20 per hour
- Overall Job Review: Cambly is a mobile-friendly language platform that is focused on providing comfortable lessons to non-native English speakers while maintaining a relatively easy application process.. Their app appears seamless and flawless, which will successfully help tutors to teach English efficiently. With all of their online English tutors being natives and their “call” function, online tutoring becomes next to no hassle. Cambly is an amazing option for anyone who’s trying to teach English in an interactive and pleasant way.
9. Education First
- About: EF Education First is an international education company with a difference. For the past 50 years, EF has specialized in providing people of all ages learning opportunities around the world. From educational travel to language training, academic degree programs and cultural exchange, EF has sought to create natural immersive environments to maximize learning.
- Tutor Experience: The application process for EF Education First is very straightforward, you submit qualifications, you receive a call from the recruitment team and are taken on a tour of the virtual classroom, and then given an offer based on all the previous information.
- Pay: English First tutors earn $12 to $16 per hour
- Overall Job Review: EF Education First offers various amounts of ways to tutor and online tutoring could be considered their strong point. With a straightforward application process and a large number of students to be taught, EF presents a great opportunity to tutors online.
Frequently asked questions when looking becoming an Online Tutor
- Q: How do I become an online English tutor?
- A: We’ve provided a guide to becoming an online English tutor!
- Q: How much does tutoring online pay?
- A: Online tutors usually average within the range of $20 to $5 per hour but can vary on different platforms.
- Q: Can I tutor online?
- A: You can! While most platforms may require degrees, several of the platforms we’ve listed above only ask that you select a subject you’re knowledgeable about and provide basic information.
If you thought this post was helpful to you, please be sure to share it with your friends! It would support us and allow us to continue to make articles!
If you would like to share how you personally learned a subject online, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment down below.